So many books so little time!

I seem to have decided to read everything at once! Not the smartest choice I supposed cause at some point I'm afraid I'll start mixing up characters and stories, but will see how it goes.


Firstly I finished (a while ago) The Curious Case of the Dog in the Nighttime (Mark Haddon). What's it about you ask? It's a mystery novel of sorts, the main character has Asperger syndrome and the book is written from his point of view and is about how he tries to solve the murder of the dog he finds in the front lawn of his neighbours house and all the things he does to do so. 


I gotta say at times I would find it a bit confusing and random, since the character tells you everything that goes through his head, from his hate of brown colour to a physics experiment. But it was interesting to see him trying all this new things in order to solve the mystery.


Next up is The Secret Garden (Frances Hodgson Burnett) and Saturday (Ian McEwan). The first I've read a couple of times and I've seen the movie a plenty of times. I downloaded to my Kindle App for Android for free one night I couldn't sleep. This version seems to be one of the old versions since they use old English words which at times can be confusing, but I love the book. For those of you who don't know what's it about: "When orphaned Mary Lennox, lonely and sad, comes to live at her uncle's great house on the Yorkshire moors, she finds it full of secrets. At night, she hears the sound of crying down one of the long corridors. Outside, she meets Dickon, a magical boy who can charm and talk to animals. Then, one day, with the help of a friendly robin, Mary discovers the most mysterious wonder of all -- a secret garden, walled and locked, which has been completely forgotten for years and years. Is everything in the garden dead, or can Mary bring it back to life?" (Amazon) I gotta say I saw the movie before reading the book and as the book lover I am, when I found out it was based on a book I had to read it and well I loved it. It's nice to read about a child's curiosity and how it can lead to fantastic things!


As most books by Ian McEwan, Saturday, is a bit of an odd book, have only read the first few chapters (whilst camping with a torch in my head since we had no light). Can't really say much about the book, but been a fan of McEwan I'm sure it won't disappoint. He's writing can be shocking at times (in another book he wrote how his characters killed and cut a body, and in another he wrote about the obsession a man had with another man and how things got out of control) but he knows how to deliver them in an amazing writing.


Yesterday I finished The Boy With the Cuckoo-Clock Heart (Mathias Maizieu) which I was meant to read in a day as part of the 100 ideas by Keri Smith but after read half the book I got slightly bored but I was determined to finish it so have done it now and I gotta say I didn't love it, I dunno why, the story is great and the writing is really good but there was something that didn't really got my attention, the main character is usually sad (even when good things happen to him) but I dunno I wasn't thrilled by it.


Finally I also downloaded The Phantom of the Opera (Gaston Leroux) because I love the musical and I realize that even tho I know the story by heart I've never ever read the book so it's time to read it! ^^


Which books do you like?


xx
Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment