Some people can't take a little competition




So I found this article the Guardian wrote about Lynn Sheperd, that mention another article, that she had written, where she asked J.K. Rowling to stop writing books.

Of course I was immediately intrigued by what she had to say, since why would an unknown author go against such a big name like Rowling, specially since the latter has a legion of fans that will not take that sort of comment lightly.

The Guardian's article mention all the backlash she had gotten after her article was published and I have to admit it was indeed a bit harsh, apparently all of her books now have several one star reviews on Amazon most of them admitting they had not read the books but they would not be reading cause of the petty comments she had made towards Rowling.

I figured I would read the article she wrote. She mentions she did not read the Harry Potter books nor she watched the movies and that's fine, I know a few people that do not like the series or they don't have any interest in it and that's ok, anyone's entitle to read/watch what they like. But then she wrote this:

"I did think it a shame that adults were reading them (rather than just reading them to their children, which is another thing altogether), mainly because there's so many other books out there that are surely more stimulating for grown-up minds."

Excuse me? Why can't adults read Harry Potter? I was 11 when I began reading and I pretty much grew up with Harry Potter, like many other people worldwide. As a librarian I am shocked that a writer thinks they know better what people should read. People can read whatever they want, prove of that there's Twilight and 50 Shades of Grey (I guess reading a fragile girl in love with a dangerous beast is much better than reading about 3 young people overcoming obstacles and keeping their friendship!). And yes I know us librarians should not judge what a person reads but should help them find what they're looking for, but really neither one of those bokos is properly written (let's do a word count on the phrase "Oh my God" and all other phrases like that one)

On one of the comments section, someone mention that, even though, Sheperd writes for the adults she seemms to think she knows so well, she's acting like a little spoiled kid, "C'MOOOON IT'S MY TURN NOW!!"”


To Mrs. Sheperd all I have to say, you wanted to get noticed? There you go, everyone knows you now, but now it's time to grow up and work hard, you'll have competition wherever you go and if you cannot take it, I suggest you write "for your personal pleasure".


No comments:

Post a Comment